Business Development and Fundraising
- Grew BikeWalkKC’s revenue from $0 to $1 million in five years
- Created healthy revenue mix of grants, donations, government contracts, events, and fees for service
- Led successful efforts to get more than $5 million in federal grants
- Cultivated $1 million corporate sponsorship
- Planned and executed events with more 1,000 people
- Managed complex grants, budgets, and government contracts
- Developed mission, vision, and strategic objectives
- Developed detailed operation plans to implement strategic objectives
- Created tools and metrics to track implementation
- Linked performance management system to strategic plan to improve employee engagement
- Developed strategic communications to support mission and fundraising
- Excellent media relations in print, TV, radio, and online
- Frequent presenter and panelist at industry conferences
- Compelling communications to drive email click-throughs and donor conversions
- Calls to action generating thousands of letters to elected officials and petition signatures
Boards and Commissions
- Nonprofit Connect Board of Directors
- Kansas City River Trails Board of Directors
- Transportation Policy Committee and Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee at Mid-America Regional Council
- Founding Chair of Kansas City, MO Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee (2008-2016)
2019 National Bike Summit
Panelist: Growing Mission Impact with Health Partnerships
Presented BikeWalkKC’s success in achieving our mission through partnerships with health departments, foundations, researchers, hospitals, and other health sector partners.
Moderator: Working with Public Health Departments 101
Helping bike bike/ped advocates understand and partner with public health professionals to achieve outcomes for shared goals.
2017 National Bike Summit
Panelist: Raising local and state $, bonds, legislation, and accessing state funding.
Shared BikeWalkKC’s success leading a coalition that achieved a $150 million sidewalk fund and a $450 million Complete Streets fund within a larger infrastructure bond package.
2015 and 2012 Local Advocate of the Year award: Pitch Weekly.
2015 Kansas Built Environment and Outdoors Summit: Presenter
2013 Regional Leadership Award: Mid-America Regional Council
2012 Advocate of the Year: Alliance for Biking and Walking.
Impacts of temporary pedestrian streetscape improvements on pedestrian and vehicle activity and community perceptionsJA Carlson, A Grimes, M Green, T Morefield, C Steel, A Reddy, …
Journal of Transport & Health 15, 100791
Impacts of an earn-a-bike cycling education program on children’s time spent cyclingJA Carlson, C Steel, C Bejarano, A Grimes, RP Shook, A Reddy, M Green, …
Journal of Transport & Health 16, 100826